No 90-92 High Street (the traditional name for this part of Newland Street) to the left of the United Reformed Church occupies a pair of timber-framed buildings, dating from the 16th-century, and once private dwellings. They were both re-fronted in brick at different times in the late 18th century. Notice the difference in the upper window recesses. Look at the right-hand side for a good view of the new front and an added chimney stack.
A central doorway now has a wooden doorcase with panelled reveals, rectangular fanlight and a pedimented hood on console brackets. The building has three storeys and a cellar. It is listed Grade II.
In 1899 the right-hand part was converted to a barber’s shop. The left-hand part remained as a private house until 1955 when it too was converted to a shop for Byford’s. The barbers closed in 1965 and Byford’s then expanded into this side of the building.