Grove Cottages

Numbers 6-8-10-12 Newland Street. This Georgian style terrace of four small houses was built around 1840. It has attractive fronts in grey gault brickwork, central pedimented doorcases and flat canopies over the end doors. The roof is hipped in slate, with ogee caves guttering. Janet Gyford, A History of Witham, advises that the building replaced earlier cottages.

The building is listed Grade II and consists of cellars, and three rooms on each of the ground and first floors. Detailing throughout is of very fine quality and there are minor modern extensions at the rear. All windows are double hung vertical sliding sash, with fully concealed frames. The front is protected by iron spearhead railings.

Mrs Sybil Hiscocks of Hatfield Peverel wrote in the Witham & Countryside Society bulletin that she remembers having tea in the 1920s with the two Misses Bindon Blood, who were relatives of her mother. Cyril Taylor says that they were living at 6 Newland Street at that time.

No.14, set back at the left hand end of the terrace,  is a later addition, built-on in about 1890.

Sources: Cyril Taylor; Heritage England; The Development of Buildings in Witham, M C Wadhams; Janet Gyford; and Witham & Countryside Society.

Text and Photographs: John Palombi and Cyril Taylor unless otherwise accredited. Illustrations: John Finch and Julie & John Denney. Translations: Google.com. Original Concept: Joy Vaughan, Witham Town Centre Strategy Group. Narration: John Rhodes
 

This site was designed with the
.com
website builder. Create your website today.
Start Now