The Essex County Council Newland Street Conservation Area Appraisal and Management Plan states ‘Nos 65-67 form a pair of 19th-century gault brick buildings. No. 67 was largely rebuilt in the 1960s and the top storey removed.’ (see photograph below). These two buildings were included in the original Braintree District Council listing as ‘65 Newland Street GII Listing Early C19 grey gault brick house. 2 storey and cellar. Ground C20 sheet glass included for group value’, but must have since been removed from the Statutory List. The buildings fall very much into the predominant Georgian style of 21st century Newland Street and present an important part of the streetscape of this central part of the town.
Number 65 is a grey brick built house used as offices. This building remains remarkably intact, still with the staircase to the front door and upper storey windows although the ground floor window may have been simplified in the 20th century and numbers 67a and 67b appear to be early 19th century.
No 65 was Mary Green, Wines and Spirit merchant from 1881 to 1886 when Alice Garrett, a dressmaker, took over until 1929 when Albert Rudkin, a boot repairer, took over until 1939 or later. Bawtree, Solicitors, have been here since at least 1969.
No 67 was Matthew Thomasin, Brush Maker, who had a factory behind, later handed on to George Thomasin. John Chaplin Sach had a cabinet maker’s business from 1870, and Coker & Rice, also cabinet makers from 1910. Reginald Haverson, Furniture Dealer, was here from 1928, and Baldwin Chemist from 1931. It became the British Restaurant in 1940 and Parion Products, a caravan dealer, took over some time before 1961. They reopened in 1972 as a two-storey building becoming. The Cheshunt Building Society was here until 1990 when Bristol & West Building Society took over. In 1996 it became a café, Baker’s Snacks until 2000 when Café Aroma took over, and then Mama Dells in 2002.
No 67b a watchmaker, Allen Colyer some time before 1862 and George Thomasin was here in 1868. John Sach, cabinet maker, from 1870 to 1895 and Coker & Rice 1910 until 1926. then Reginald Haverson from 1928. Charles Ingram, fruiterer, occupied the shop from 1933 before it became the British Restaurant in 1940. Jack Semple had a men's hairdesser from 1960 but had left before the building became two-storey in 1972. Since then it has been estate agents Lester's, and them Prudential Property Services, with The Woolwich Building Society there from 1993. It returned to estate agency in 199 with Haart, and became offices for Devonish & Co Chartered Certified Accountants in January 2013.
Sources: Essex County Council; Cyril Taylor; and Witham & Countryside Society.