99 Newland Street
Essex County Council Newland Street Conservation Area Appraisal and Management Plan describes the buildings a 'a purpose-built bank, dating from 1910, and a good example of its type with high quality materials and rich detailing. Beside the bank is a yard, now a redundant plot, where old backland buildings were demolished over the last few years’. The early postcard view below shows the building has changed little over the years.
Samual Davies was listed here as a photographer from 1874 to 1882, and as an accountant 1886 to 1899. The Essex Record Office has plans for The Capital Counties Bank Ltd to erect a new building by architect J P Briggs. Janet Gyford, A History of Witham, describes it as ‘built 1910 by Joseph Smith for Capital and Counties Bank, classical style, Manager lived above, became Lloyds about 1920’. It is a good quality example of an early 20th century bank providing character in this central part of Newland Street surrounded by both 19th and later buildings.
Sources: Janet Gyford; Essex County Council; Essex Record Office, Cyril Taylor.