On the corner of Collingwood Road, The George is a 17th-century building, originally limber-framed with plaster in-fill. The inn was formerly a longer building, extending further to the left, but when Collingwood Road was built in 1872 part of the building was demolished. The left-hand side and gable were then rebuilt in brick. Note the difference in the two front gables and their window recesses. Inside an original brick fireplace has been uncovered during alterations in 1983, and beams exposed. The building is listed Grade II.
Until the late 18th century there was an earlier inn of the same name further down Newland Street, in the building currently occupied by the Town Hall. The George was established on the present site in the early 19th century.
The postcard view below dates from the inter-war period.