The Old House & The Old Post Office
The Old House at number 41 is a delightful Grade II Listed House of much charm and character, dating back from around 1660
Number 45 is is a fifteenth or sixteenth century timber framed and plastered house altered in the seventeenth century. The centre pail has a crown post roof and the cellar is partly built of flint rubble. An early nineteenth century double-fronted shop has been built under the cross wing jetty, which housed the post office and general store until the 1950s.
The house originally extended further west, but this part was demolished to provide space for the Chantry Villas, built in 1897 (see photograph below), and in 1934 a Madam Elicia of London, a clairvoyant, palmist, and crystal reader lived here.
Sources: Janet Gyford; Estate Agent details; Witham & Countryside Society.