Oaklands occupies the corner of Moat Farm Chase and Chipping Hill. This substantial brick house was built in 1880 in what was then a vacant site.
A public house called the 'Chequer' originally stood here (perhaps connected with the "Chekkers" where the Knights Templars and after them the Knights Hospitallers received their rents and held court), but it was demolished by Robert Barwell about 1720. He cleared the site because 'it was standing before the Moat House' a farmhouse demolished in the 1950s further down Moat Farm Chase.
The house is an early example of Joseph Smith's moulded bricks from James Brown's catalogue, and cast iron railings.
Sources: Janet Gyford – A History of Witham; Witham & Countryside Society.