The house dates from about 17th century, and is timber framed with lath and plaster and listed Grade II. It was extensively re-built and extended about 1830 for Miss Mary Ann Bramston, elder sister of the vicar, John Bramston, She was looked after by a coachman, a cook, and a housemaid.
The house was purchased by the Cullen family in 1878. The property then included a long garden and land bordering White Horse Lane. The Cullen family also owned the farm and medieval barns at Cressing Temple, restored by Essex County Council. By the end of the last century, Thomas Cullen had established 'many hundreds of acres' of seed growing land and had built up an international reputation. He built the seed warehouses at the end of White Horse Lane, which was then a part of his land, and also the grand front of the house in 1912, by local architect Harry Man.
The line of the Saxon 'burh' may be seen in the back gardens of the properties fronting White Horse Lane.
Sources: Janet Gyford; Witham & Countryside Society.