Elegant gault brick built early 1840 cast iron railings and gate. Once called 'Beatenberg' changed after First World War by new occupants, the Dean family, they had been criticised for having a German relative.

It is listed Grade II as an early C19 grey gault brick house with two storeys, a three window range, and double- hung sashes without glazing bars. It also has a  central 6-panel door with a rectanguiar fanlight has a wood doorcase with panelled reveals, fluted pilasters and a cornice hood. The first floor windows have louvred shutters.

It was an army billet during WWII and later became a house for the homeless used by Witham UDC, but is now a very nice detached home.

Sources: Janet Gyford; Witham & Countryside Society.

Text and Photographs: John Palombi and Cyril Taylor unless otherwise accredited. Illustrations: John Finch and Julie & John Denney. Translations: Original Concept: Joy Vaughan, Witham Town Centre Strategy Group. Narration: John Rhodes

This site was designed with the
website builder. Create your website today.
Start Now