top of page
8 - 20 Church Street Shops
This group of shops was built in 1955 by local architect Stanley Bragg who appeared to be trying to take in the character of the neighbourhood, with limited success.
Previously the old shops included a butcher with their own slaughterhouse behind. The open paving was originally laid out with raised planting areas but this was removed when the land was sold by the district council in 2008.
The old photograph below shows the row of shops before redevelopment.
Sources: Janet Gyford; Witham & Countryside Society.
bottom of page